El Toyon was built in 1889 by Col. Walter Scott Davis, a Union officer during the Civil War. Col. Davis owned and operated several mines in the area, most notably the Mammoth Bar Mine, which took in over $1,000,000 during his tenure. He was a quiet philanthropist, donating funds for many local causes, including the fire bell tower that still stands on Lincoln Way in Auburn.
Col. Davis & his daughter 'Lilly'
Click on any of the images below to view it larger.